Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Long Awaited Blessing

So this is going to be a little longer post than I normally make because it is one of the most amazing, beautiful experiences and days of my life.

Monday, March 29, 2010 at 7:20 am in the morning I run to the bathroom. My husband is in the shower and I throw open the curtain and I tell him, "I think my water broke! How do I know if my water broke?" He looks at me and says, "How am I supposed to know? Your mom is here, why don't you ask her. She would probably know."

I run to the guest room where my mother is sleeping and knock on the door. "Mom, I think my water broke! How do I know?" I tell her I was laying in bed and all of a sudden it was wet everywhere and I still had liquid running down my legs. She tells me that we better head to the hospital. I ask my mom, "Is it okay if I take a shower first?" She tells me, "A very short one."

I head back to our bathroom and my husband is still in the shower. I open the curtain and tell him that my water broke and we need to head to the hospital but I want to shower first. He looks at me and says, "What are you doing? You don't have time to take a shower. Go get ready to go." I told him I was going to take a shower before we go and that was that.

We arrive at the hospital, St Luke's in Meridian, about 7:50 am. We get all checked in and hooked up to the machines. Which tell me I'm having contractions every 4 minutes. It kind of tickled to me. I thought this isn't so bad.

Fortunately, my doctor was on call that morning so he came in to see me. There was concern of possibly having seizures because of my high blood pressure and the baby being only 35 weeks. So he explained all the possibilities and that they would need to put an IV in just in case they had to give me magnesium to stop the seizures and to give me pitocin to induce labor.

Let me just tell you that my veins are the worst for drawing blood from and trying to get an IV in. The nurses tried 6 times before they called a specialist in. Then the specialist had to use an ultrasound machine to locate a good vein and he tried once. On the second try he got one in my left arm but it was a smaller one and he was afraid it would collapse. So he asked if he could try again. I said, "Sure why not...this is more painful than my contractions." So he got a better IV in my right arm but he left the one in my left arm, which was right in the bend of my arm...NOT comfortable at all! Anyways, the process took NINE times to get an IV in. It's a good thing needles don't scare me and I can handle the poking and probing.

Everything was going smoothly so far. I had my absolutely amazing mother there to help coach me. My poor sister, Dacia, left Sunday evening to head back to Rexburg. So when we called her to tell her I was in the hospital, she took the kids out of school and headed back to Boise. A 4 1/2 hour drive. My daddy and his fiancee where still in town. My best friend, Lisa, was fortunately still in town but was schedule to fly out this day. Luckily she was able to change her ticket to stay. And my best friend, Summer, worked at the very hospital I was at.

So now it was the waiting game. When I had talked to my doctor earlier I asked, "When do you think I'll have the baby." He said, "Maybe not until later this evening, possibly tomorrow." So I'm thinking...okay, this isn't so bad if my contractions tickle like this and don't get worse I should be good.

Mom, Geri & Dad.

Well Mom, Dad & his fiancee are in the room with me just chatting away while watching me concentrate on my breathing when the contractions would come. Still no problem. Then about 1:30 pm, I look at them and say, "I don't think I want to hear you talk anymore." I sat there for a while thinking about what to say because I didn't want to be one of those crazy women in labor. And at that time I thought that was the nicest way I could put it. Dad & his fiancee, Geri, looked at me and said, "I think it's time for us to go." So they left to babysit so Lisa and my husband could head back to the hospital.

My Skrizzy.

Earlier the nurse informed me that if I was thinking about having an epidural that I would need to let her know in advance because it takes about 45 minutes for the entire process.

My beautiful friend, Summer, was finally able to get away from work and visit me. Of course she came after my father and Geri left so I'm really concentrating on breathing. She comes in all bubbly and excited that we are having a baby. I just look at her like she isn't there because I'm concentrating. She said I gave her a look like I was going to rip her head off. I was very thankful though because she noticed I was totally congested and couldn't breathe easily and got me some oxygen. Which helped. Summer stayed for a bit then had to go back to work to see if someone could cover her.

So as my contractions are getting stronger and not tickling so much anymore, I'm thinking, "If it's like this all night possibly until tomorrow, I don't know if I can handle it without an epidural." So I finally ask the nurse to start the process of getting me an epidural. She checks my cervix and I've dilated to 5-6 cm.

Okay, trying to get an epidural while your having strong contractions and are completely congested and can't breathe even with oxygen, is quite the experience. Not to mention it was scaring me a little because I couldn't breathe and all I wanted to do was push. While my mom is telling me, "Blow out the candles." Meanwhile, you are supposed to stay still during the process. Rather difficult but somehow I managed.

So things are progressing rather fast, I hear myself grunting and wanting to push everything out. Mom tells me not to push but to breathe "Blow out the candles" and let your body do the rest. I ask my mom if I'm screaming. She says no, you are doing excellent. Just "blow out the candles".

I tell the nurse the baby is coming. She checks my cervix and I've dilated to 8 cm. No one is in the room except my mom, the nurse and the guy putting in the epidural. Where's my doctor? Where's all the other nurses? The guy (I don't know what you call them) finished putting the epidural in and I had probably three more contractions and said, "The baby is coming and I'm ripping!" Because that's exactly how it felt. And our baby boy literally shot out.

I wanted it video taped but well it happened all so fast there was no time.

I heard my son cry and it brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't believe he was here. I couldn't believe I just delivered a baby. I couldn't believe he was finally here. And I felt EVERYTHING! So much for an epidural. It was all so surreal. I can't even explain the emotions and feelings that were running through me. Fortunately, my doctor and nurses were there just in the nick of time.

Then this beautiful baby boy was placed in my arms. It was love at first sight! It makes me cry just remembering and writing about it now. I LOVE him so much! No words can ever explain what I feel for him. I always imagined what it would be like but never in my life did I think it would feel like this.

Oloiso Makana'akua Rock Holden
Born March 29, 2010
At 15:16
Weighing 4 lbs 11 oz
Measuring 17 1/2 inches long

Oloiso meaning: Olo (The man) iso (royal).
Translation: the man of royalty or the royal man.

Makana' akua: Makana (gift, present) Akua (God).
Translation: Gift of God or Matthew

Warning: These are not very good pictures of me because I was so swollen during my pregnancy. But here is our first moment together as mother and son.

And my husband, the proud father.

My amazing mother, who stayed calm and helped me stay calm. I love her to death! What would I have done without her. Thank you mom!

Elisha, Jesse, Brielle, Dacia and Lisa.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. For all those that know the challenges I have been through, I know you can appreciate my story.
What an experience! Absolutely amazing! And now I am blessed with the child I have always dreamed of. My miracle baby! Dreams do come true and prayers truly are answered.

I thank my Father in Heaven for answering my prayers and for the most amazing blessing I could have ever received. To be a mother. My son is truly a GIFT of GOD!

4 comments:

The Perry family said...

I LOVE YOU and your little miracle!!!!!

Dacia said...

I'm so happy for you! He is such a cute little blessing!

Kipn n' Sarah said...

This is written beautifully. Your labor sounds similar to my sisters last labor that she just had. I am glad you got to have the people you love there with you. I am so grateful that you have been able to experience motherhood this way! He is a handsome little miracle!!!

Sheree said...

Beautiful...Shaide! What a great miracle indeed!

Related Posts with Thumbnails